COTStoSPACE - Technologies and processes to use COTS in Space applications
On February 2021, IMT had a Kick-off meeting with ASI on a Project named COTStoSPACE.
COTStoSPACE Project wants to address the problem of the use of COTS in LEO applications by defining the guidelines for:
- Selection of COTS and acceptance criteria for TID and SEE
- The design to mitigate the problems of component technologies due to the Space environment (SEU, SET, SEFI, SEL, SEGR, ...)
- The production flow and acceptance criteria for the use of plastic and non-hermetic packages
- Verification of the effectiveness of HASS (High Accelerated Stress Screen) tests on 2 demonstrators: 1 Digital and 1 RF
- The design and verification of the effectiveness of MLS (Multi Layer shields) to mitigate the effect of ionizing radiation on the components used.
Partners of the Projects are: IMT srl (as Prime Contractor), Thales Alenia Space Italia, MB Elettronica, Università di Roma 2 – Tor Vergata.
Duration of the Project is foreseen to be 24 months.
Four Design Reviews are planned, one every 6 months.
Outcome of the Project will be:
- Part selection list and relevant rationales
- Technology definition
- Characterisation Test Results
- Manufacturing Process characterisation
- Testing results of Demonstrators